KBO's Science programming embraces three approaches:
1. Long-term monitoring that provides information about changes in bird populations;
2. In-depth theoretical research that advances our understanding of distribution and movements; and
3. Applied ecology that addresses natural resource management challenges.
Our conservation science is applied at local, regional, and international scales:
1. Ongoing science programs inform conservation planning in the beautifully rugged and wildlife-rich Klamath-Siskiyou Bioregion of northern California and southern Oregon.
2. Avian Knowledge Northwest, our interactive data center and decision support system, provides scientific resources across the Pacific Northwest.
3. Professional education and international capacity building expands our influence hemispherically with partner-driven programs that protect birds throughout their breeding, migrating, and wintering seasons.